Saturday 7 August 2010

I need a bit of help please.

Wow, not posted up any dolls house progress in a while - so I thought I'd give you all a small task to do :D

Today i went out and bought myself some Balsa wood. I'm planning on making some shelving for my post office, and I want it to be similar to Kath’s Village Shop shelving (pictured in the link.)


I've looked everywhere I can think of online, and I can't find a simple tutorial that will tell me how I can do this! If someone knows how to do this, could you please leave a comment. Or if you know of a link that will help me I'd be ever so grateful! Thank you!

3 comments:

  1. Hi Shellby, you are probably going to hate me for suggesting this, but the first thing you need to do is change woods. Balsa is not strong enough for shelving. Here we use bass wood. I believe that in your neck of the woods, lime wood is about the same. You will have a much easier time of it with the stronger wood. It can still be cut with an exacto knife if you don't have saws.

    I did some shelving in the Buttercup Bookshop. I will have to go back and look. I don't think that I have a tutorial per se, but I know that I did discribe the how to do it part. If you go look at that, it might help you get started.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Haha, thank you Casey. I am going to blame my dad for telling me balsa wood would work for shelving.
    I bought some thinner stuff to cut into skirting boards.
    Would it be strong enough for that?
    And is there any kind of furniture I can made with the balsa wood i have bought?

    I'm going to get some basswood/limewood (I'm in the UK so not sure which one it would be called but i have heard of basswood before.)

    Thank you for letting me know this and i will check out the shelving in your bookshop!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Shellby! Casey advice on the basswood is very good- much stronger than the balsa wood. I don't know if this would help much or not, but when I need to build shelves I make a "prototype" out of thin cardboard first, because I am not so good at getting measurements right. This way, if I screw up at least I have a chance to fix it and figure out the right measurements before I start cutting up the wood. Good luck with your shelves ♥

    ReplyDelete